Firm Trained with
Thackray Williams LLP
I joined McMillan Williams in 2012 and since qualification have specialised in all aspects of Private Client work. I am a full professional member of Solicitors for the Elderly.
I qualified as a notary public in 2015 which means that I can assist you with legalising a range of documents for use in foreign jurisdictions such as:
- powers of attorney
- certified copy documents for emigration purposes
- company documents for businesses tendering for work abroad or setting up subsidiary companies.
I am also happy to advise on:
- Court of Protection – I specialise in matters relating to the Court of Protection. I can assist with making applications to the Court of Protection to appoint a Deputy; applications to create a Statutory Will (where someone needs to put a Will in place but does not have the sufficient mental capacity to do so), applications for tax planning and lifetime gifts for those individuals who lack mental capacity. I can also assist with applications to object against the registration of powers of attorney or statutory wills.
- Wills - A Will is an extremely important document that everyone should have. I can advise you on the type of Will that is right for you taking into account all of your personal circumstances. Your Will can include trust provisions to save Inheritance Tax, safeguard assets from being used for care home fees, protect vulnerable family members and children from previous relationships and many other circumstances.
- Administration of Estates - Dealing with the death of a loved one is a difficult time. I have experience in dealing with a range of estates including those with overseas assets, claims for Business Property Relief and Agricultural Property Relief, and high net worth estates.
- Powers of Attorney - I will assist you with the creation of Lasting Powers of Attorney for your financial affairs and health and welfare matters. I also deal with the registration requirements of the Office of the Public Guardian, and can advise you on General and Ordinary Powers of Attorney.
- Tax Planning - I can advise you on the steps that you can take to reduce any Inheritance Tax or Capital Gains Tax that may be payable either on death or during your lifetime. All tax planning advice will be tailor-made to fit your own circumstances.
- Trusts - I can advise you on the creation of Lifetime Trusts, Declaration of Trusts to specify joint ownership of property, and administer ongoing trusts.
Work in the Community / Pro Bono Work
I assist with free Will schemes through the National Free Wills Network and regular schemes run by Age UK and Greenwich and Bexley Community Hospice.
I acted for an attorney who was being investigated by the Office of the Public Guardian for incorrectly dealing with his father's finances. The Office of the Public Guardian wanted him removed as an attorney so that he could not deal with his father's financial affairs and also health and welfare decisions. The Court decided that the attorney should continue to act with his father's health and welfare and appointed him Deputy together with a partner of the firm so that he could continue to act in relation to financial affairs. This was an excellent result for the family and also, an unusual decision of the Court which the senior judge of the Court of Protection stated was not to be used as a precedent. He also mentions this case when speaking at training courses for other solicitors. (Office of the Public Guardian v Marvin)
Outside work, I spend most of my time with family, entertaining my young daughters.
What My Clients Say About Me
"My partner and I received a very helpful service at McMillan Williams which enabled us to create Wills that addressed our requirements in a comprehensive and clear manner. Thank you." - L Lucantoni (Dec 2015)
"Mark Stubberfield assisted my mother with her power of attorney, he was extremely professional and efficient but also friendly and approachable which really helped put my mother at ease." - P Billing (Dec 2015)