Dealing with the finances on divorce or following a separation can be very worrying. It is important to get legal advice quickly to reduce some of that anxiety.

Our dedicated family team can advise you of your rights and options and assist you in reaching a financial outcome with respect to the family home or other assets, including properties and pensions; and any income needs, through negotiation, mediation with a specialist facilitator (mediator), or through a Court decision.

In cases of domestic violence you need support and guidance immediately.

Keeley Lengthorn
Keeley Lengthorn
Associate Solicitor

We will respond quickly and efficiently to any request for advice, assistance and representation. 

We can help you to apply for an injunction following verbal abuse, violence or threats of violence or harassment (including through social media).  This can be in the form of a non-molestation order, an occupation order or a Protection from Harassment order which can be obtained to not only protect you (and any children) from violence, but also to sort out who stays in the home. 

Same day appointments are available for the most urgent of cases whenever possible, and we can often get to Court the same day.

We Can Help

At MW, our mission is To make quality legal services accessible to everyone, especially those at risk of domestic violence.  If you would like to talk in confidence to one of our team of specialist family solicitors call us today on 0203 551 8500 or email us at

Whatever stage you are in, whether just considering options or past the point of reconcilliation, we can offer supportive and sympathetic advice

If possible we can help you through a divorce via mediation or collaboration.  If necessary we can take your interests to court. Either way, you can talk to us in the strictest confidence, and we will work with you closely and in your interests.

Collaborative law is where each individual has their own collaboratively trained solicitor and both parties meet together to work things out face to face without going to Court.

Both parties have the support of their solicitor throughout the process to provide legal advice. Both parties and solicitors sign an agreement that commits them to trying to resolve the issues without the need to go to court. The solicitors involved are prevented from then representing these parties in court if the collaborative process breaks down. This encourages all parties to remain absolutely committed to finding the best solutions by agreement, rather than through court proceedings

We have a collaborative law specialist as part of our team.

Prior to entering into a civil partnership, it is possible to draw up an agreement which will make provision for the possibility of future relationship breakdown.

The contents of such an agreement can be as specific as you wish to make them, however in order to have the best chance of being taken into consideration by a court in the event that the partnership is dissolved, it is generally best to restrict the contents of agreements to matters like the division of assets and other financial matters.

As family law specialists, our team can advise civil partners on the drawing up of such agreements and in the event that a relationship has broken down, on seeking dissolution of the partnership.

Whatever the nature of your dispute, you need it dealt with quickly and competently by understanding professionals

Whether through mediation and collaborative law, or court based proceedings, we can help find a resolution to your problems. You can talk to us in the strictest confidence, and we will work with you closely and sympathetically.

Depending on your situation you may be eligible for government funding called Legal Aid.  Legal Aid is still available for a number of family cases, but if you are not eligible for Legal Aid you may want to consider the following:

Family Fee Choices 

Many people are put off instructing a solicitor because they are worried about the fees they will have to pay.  We have created “Family Fee Choices” to deal with those concerns and make our fees as transparent as possible.  We leave the choice of what you want to agree to pay to you, by offering you several alternatives.  You simply decide which of our fee schemes works best for the level of legal support you feel you need and what fits your budget. 

  • Pay as you go - This scheme allows you to pay for each piece of advice you seek from us, for a fixed price.  We don’t go on the court record as acting for you, so you continue to receive all the letters and court orders from the court and the other parties’ solicitors.  We won’t write to anyone on your behalf.  You simply come and see us when you need us and pay an agreed fee for that meeting and an email confirming what we have discussed and what we recommend you do next.  You can come as many times as you like, for as much or as little advice as you like, paying for each time you come.

  • Pay as you go (court) - Allows you to pay for us each time you need us.  One of our in house team of court experienced solicitors or barristers, will agree a fee with you for the type of hearing you need help with.  We will meet you at court, represent you there, and then send you an email setting out what happened and what you need to do next.  And that’s it. You pay us one agreed fee, and as long as the funds are with us before the hearing we will be there for you.  Next time you need us, just call again.

  • Fixed fee support - We will go on the record as acting for you and will correspond on your behalf with the court and the other parties.  We will prepare documents on you behalf and write to you at regular intervals to let you know what is going on.  All we ask of you is that you pay us the fixed fee up front.  We will set out in a detailed letter what is covered within the fee you have agreed with us.  We won’t charge you a penny more than the agreed amount, unless the case develops in a way that takes it out of the scheme or you ask us to do more.  This will be set out in the letter to you before you decide.  No court hearings will be covered in this fee scheme.  Although, if you want us to help you at court, you can pay us on a “Pay as you go” basis.

  • Traditional full legal support – Where you pay us a regular payment on account each month, and we will bill you each month based on an hourly rate charged for each piece of work we do for you.  The rate is based on the level of experience of the solicitor or legal adviser assisting you.  We will undertake all steps and correspondence involved in your case, including representing you at court.  We will send you a detailed letter at the beginning of the case estimating the likely overall costs of the case to be incurred and also additional costs like court fees, process server’s fees, and doctor’s report fees.  As long as you continue to keep us in funds we will continue to act for you, but if you are unable to continue to pay us we reserve the right to stop acting for you.  We will see you in a fixed fee appointment to get the details of the case and then write to you setting out all the costs information before you decide if you want to instruct us in this basis.

Surrogacy is an exciting journey for new parents and surrogates alike but can be fraught if expectations and responsibilities are not clear and binding at the beginning

Whether you have just started thinking about surrogacy or are already deep in the process we can offer advice, guidance and support.  All our conversations will be in strict confidence.  We are proud to work in a considered, positive way and would be pleased to help you in this next phase of your journey.  Get in touch.

Special Guardianship was designed specifically for family members taking on the permanent care of a child within the family.

They give the Special Guardian formal parental responsibility that overrides that of anyone else with parental responsibility i.e. the parents.  This leaves the Special Guardian in charge and able to make decisions for the child: whether that be on practical things like choice of schools, or where the child lives, or what contact they should have with other members of the family.  The parents retain their parental responsibility and should ideally be informed and consulted where appropriate, but the Special Guardian is able to get on and deal with things, even if the parents do not respond or co-operate accordingly.

Our recognised specialists in this field provide advice, information and support foster carers and family members who are seeking to become special guardians. We help parents through the process and to understand how a special guardianship order affects them. Get in touch.

It is often thought that grandparents and wider family do not have any rights. This is not correct.

We are very experienced in supporting grandparents and family members in all areas of family law, whether it is getting to see their grandchildren, supporting the parent(s) in their care, or where appropriate taking on their grandchildren’s care. Get in touch

Contact Us

Telephone 020 3551 8500
email email us
Client Feedback

Translate this page

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

News Categories