Firm Trained With
English, French, Italian and German
I started out practising banking and corporate law in the City of London.
After a career break and a move to the country I changed the focus of my practice to private client work.
I am based in the Bath office of McMillan Williams Solicitors, I advise on a broad range of private client matters. My principal concern is to offer a friendly and professional service with an emphasis on good communications and timely resolutions.
- Wills – It is important to make a Will to ensure that the people or organisations of your choice will benefit from your estate; under the Rules of Intestacy only married or civil partners and some other close relations will benefit and even then, not necessarily in the shares you would expect or wish. I can advise in relation to general Will provisions including specific legacies and charitable gifts, the appointment of guardians, survivorship issues and funeral arrangements. I can also advise whether it may be helpful to include Trust provisions, for example to safeguard assets from being used for care home fees or to protect children from previous relationships or other vulnerable family members.
- Intestacy – In cases where there is either no Will or there is a Will but it does not fully dispose of the deceased’s assets, I can advise who is entitled to make a claim and the procedure for doing so.
- Taxation – Although tax planning should not be used as the principal guide in determining the terms of a Will or whether to make lifetime gifts, I can advise upon Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax consequences of any courses of action being considered. I can also explain the recent legislation introducing the Residence Nil Rate Band of Inheritance Tax and how it can be used to advantage.
- Administration of Estates - Dealing with the administration of an estate can be a daunting prospect. I am happy to give as much or as little support and advice as is requested. This may include obtaining a grant of probate, maintaining estate accounts, the partial or full administration of the estate, the final distribution of the estate assets and the completion of the taxation and winding up formalities.
- Powers of Attorney – It is necessary to take care when putting in place a Lasting Power of Attorney whether for property and finance or health and welfare. They are powerful documents allowing others to make decisions on your behalf. I have prepared countless LPAs and will ensure that the forms are appropriate for you and your particular circumstances. I can also deal with the registration requirements of the Office of the Public Guardian.
- Trusts – In addition to Will Trusts I can advise on the creation of Lifetime Trusts, Declarations of Trust relating to jointly held property and the administration of ongoing Trusts.
- Court of Protection –I can assist with making applications to the Court of Protection to appoint a Deputy; applications to create a Statutory Will; applications for tax planning and lifetime gifts for those individuals who lack sufficient mental capacity; and with applications to object against the registration of powers of attorney or statutory wills.