Congratulations to the Team at MW Bexleyheath who came away with the top honour in the category of Best Employer at the recent Bexley Business Excellence Awards 2019. McMillan Williams Solicitors are very proud of this success as we stive to make our business a great place to work.
What does it take to be a Best Employer?
The category of Best Employer takes its inspiration from the words of Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson, who said
“Take care of your employees and they’ll take care of your business,”
The Judges were looking for an employer with a strategic and committed approach towards employee investment, engagement, welfare, training, development and diversity, no matter the person’s gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or social status.
Specifically their criteria were:
- A highly visible strategic approach towards valuing employees and developing their potential.
- A commitment to diversity within the workforce, valuing every employee, no matter their gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or social status.
- A planned programme of employee engagement and two-way communication; and the opportunity for employees to have their say.
- A comprehensive training and development programme, including performance planning and management.
- Best practice in employee welfare, equal opportunities, health, safety, security and wellbeing.
- Evidence to show the commercial benefits of the company’s ethos; including productivity,recruitment and employee retention.
The judges commended MW for three outstanding achievements:
- The appointment of MW Wellbeing Officers.
- The annual Employee Opinion Survey.
- Continuous commitment to Employees.
The Team, led by Office Manager Keeley Lengthorn, faced stiff opposition from some of the biggest employers in the Bexleyheath, Sidcup and Dartford area including; EB Associates Group (a large financial planning consultancy), Staffline (a national recruitment agency) and global food retailer McDonalds.
Many thanks to all those who assisted in preparing the submission and a special thanks to our CEO Dominic Harrison who has been with the firm for just two years and has spearheaded the cultural change programme which has led to MW Solicitors winning this prestigious award.