When a person dies, someone has to sort out their estate, their money, property, possessions and debts.

David Hall
David Hall
Partner & Deputy Head of Legal Services

If the deceased person left a will, this will explain what should happen to their estate.  The executors will need to apply for a grant of probate which will give them the legal right to administer the estate, this is know as ‘probate’
If the person didn’t leave a will, or the will is invalid or doesn’t specify executors, the person who deals with the estate is called an administrator.  They will need to apply for  a grant of ‘letters of administration’ to deal with the administration of the estate.

Administering an estate

Being appointed as an executor or having to be an administrator to an estate can be a daunting prospect. We always recommend to our will clients that they ask their chosen executors whether they would be willing to act before appointing them.

Administering an estate usually comes at a time of grief and high emotion and it can be a very stressful and time consuming process made potentially more difficult if you do not personally know the beneficiaries.

Appointing a Solicitor to Help You

Appointing a solicitor to act on your behalf means that you are still in control of the administration and can get the support of experts to guide you through the administration process.

We Can Help

At MW we have a dedicated and experienced team of probate solicitors who can undertake all the work that is needed.  We will give you a clear time-frame of when the administration will conclude and we will keep you and the beneficiaries updated throughout.

To make matters simpler all fees incurred by the solicitor are paid from the estate so there is no need for you to fund the administration.

If you are in any doubt about your role as an executor or you feel you need help with any aspect of the probate process call us today on 0203 551 8500 or use our Contact Us form to arrange a callback.

Contact Us

Translate this page